You’re Moving On – Who Needs To Know?

It’s easy to let a few things slip through the cracks! When you’re preoccupied with important moving-related tasks, it’s easy to forget about letting people and institutions of your upcoming move. But notifying everyone about your relocation is essential for ensuring a smooth moving process. Notifying the proper people and businesses will prevent a lot of hassles with your mail and accounts. Here’s a great checklist of the people and institutions you need to contact when moving.

Family and friends

Naturally, your relatives and close friends should be the first to know that you are about to move! (Informing them of your relocation will give you the chance to ask them to help you move, too.) 🙂 And, if you’re moving far away,  you’ll want to plan ways to stay in touch and have enough time to say goodbye.

Current employer

Unless you’re relocating to a different branch of your current company, you should inform your employer about your decision to move and leave your job as early as a month in advance. Remember that your old boss will need your new address to send you tax documents and insurance information at the end of the year.


If you live in a rental home, you should carefully review your tenant rights and responsibilities contained in the lease agreement. You will probably be required to notify your landlord of your intentions to move out at least 30 days in advance. You need to prepare a written notice that clearly states your move-out date and your future address. (It is also a good idea to include a brief statement about the excellent condition of the rented property and request your security deposit back!)

Post Office

Changing your address with the United States Postal Service should be among your top priorities when moving to a new house. To have your mail forwarded to your new place, you only need to fill out a change of address request at your local post office or at the USPS official website.


To prevent service lapses and past-due bills you need to inform your service providers about your moving plans. Arrange for the utilities at your old home to be disconnected on moving day, and have them reconnected at your new residence by the time you move in. The utility companies you should contact when moving include: electricity, gas, water, phone, cable, Internet, waste collection and other municipal services you may need.

Secretary of State in Michigan (DMV if moving out of state)

If you plan to move out of state, you’ll have to transfer your driver’s license and update your vehicle’s registration and insurance within a short time frame (10 to 30 days, depending on your new state). It’s a good idea to visit the local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in your new state as soon as you can. Inform them of your new address, and ask about the required paperwork you’ll need.

Government agencies

A number of government agencies should be notified when you’re moving – especially if it’s to a new state. Be sure to update your address with the local Social Security office and register to VOTE. The IRS will need your actual home address to mail your tax return and other documents. All you need to do is print out and mail in the IRS’ Change of Address form soon after your relocation.

Financial institutions

To keep your finances in order, you must let your financial institutions know you’re moving!

  • bank accounts
  • credit card companies
  • financial advisors

Insurance companies

Life insurance, health insurance, and homeowners insurance policies should have your current address on file.

Medical facilities & schools

If you’re moving to a new state, you will have to:

  • enroll your children in a new school
  • find a new family physician
  • transfer all your academic records, medical records, and prescription medicines

To successfully complete these important tasks you need to tell your doctors, dentists, vets, and other healthcare providers, as well as the educational facilities your kids are attending, about your move and your new address.